Xkey always on, power USB HD?

Have you read the manual? Used the search function? If so you can post in here

Xkey always on, power USB HD?

Postby parabolee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Is the Xkey supposed to be always on when it's connected to a powered external USB? Shows Xkey logo at ball times.

Should I be unplugging the drive, or is this fine?

Phat, CFW, Latest dash, Modchipsdirect, NTFS, Stock cables

Thanks
parabolee

Re: Xkey always on, power USB HD?

Postby Zephyr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:09 pm

When you turn the 360 off the xKey should power down and so should the HDD

Do you have any other USB devices plugged into the 360? Like a power charger lead for the controller or are you downloading something in the background from live... Not that I recommend being on live at all
Zephyr

Postby parabolee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 pm

No, the hd is powered by a Y cable plugged into the 360. When powered down both the drive light and the Xkey logo stay lit!
parabolee

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

parabolee wrote:No, the hd is powered by a Y cable plugged into the 360. When powered down both the drive light and the Xkey logo stay lit!

remove the power from the harddrive. any usb devices that require power keep the xbox running on like a low power mode as the request for power from usb is active, remove the power usb cable and make sure no other usb devices are connected then when u turn it off it will all shut down.
Paul

Postby parabolee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

I need ton have the power section of the y USB plugged into something or the Xkey won't see it. If I plug it into an extension running from my PC the Xkey still stays lit up with the Xkey logo!
parabolee

Postby Zephyr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 pm

parabolee wrote:I need ton have the power section of the y USB plugged into something or the Xkey won't see it. If I plug it into an extension running from my PC the Xkey still stays lit up with the Xkey logo!

I have a usb powered HDD with a Y-Split cable but x-key sees it fine without having to ply the split in... Not that I use that drive... However, if I used a different cable (non y-Split the hDD does not power up... Very strange... as I said I never plugged both end of the Y-Split in...

My point it - either try another cable or get another drive that does not need a y-splt. My external powered HDD shuts down when the xkey shuts down and that happens at power off. Alternatively you - always unplug the HDD from the 360 after use... Not much else can be done of a simplistic nature

Maybe a firmware will come out to turn off the LCD when powering off... But that still would not power down the HDD as far as I am aware
Zephyr

Postby parabolee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Well I tried several non Y cables and the Xkey does not see the drive unless its getting external power from the USB.

With the Y cable power USB not plugged in, the Xkey also does not see it.

Luckily I have an externally powered 1TB drive coming tomorrow so hopefully this won't be a concern with that drive.
parabolee

Postby G.I.JOE » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Y power plugged into the 360's USB port will keep the 360 active and in turn the 360key.
Option 1 remove the Y cable from the 360's port
Option 2 get a less demanding enclosure

Powered drives should power down with the 360 as long as nothing is drawing power in the 360 ports
"Kicking COBRA's ass since 1982"
irc.rizon.net #k3y
G.I.JOE

Postby parabolee » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:48 am

As I said I can remove the powered USB from the 360 but then the Xkey will not see the drive. So I used USB extension from my pc to power it, but it still keeps my Xkey on.

For now I'm unplugging it between sessions and hoping I don't have the same issue with my 1TB Western Digital drive I have coming tomorrow. I'll post an update when I test that.

Thanks for the promptnsupport guys, I really appreciate it.
parabolee

Postby Zephyr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 am

That is what we all meant - to remove the USB from the 360 port between sessions
Zephyr

Next

Return to Technical Support